Name of Object:

Lamp

Location:

Madrid, Spain

Holding Museum:

National Archaeological Museum

About National Archaeological Museum, Madrid

Date of Object:

Hegira 705 / AD 1305

Museum Inventory Number:

50519

Material(s) / Technique(s):

Bronze; casting.

Dimensions:

Total height 230 cm, height of truncated pyramid 54 cm, diameter 79 cm

Period / Dynasty:

Nasrid

Provenance:

Mosque of the Alhambra, Granada, Spain.

Description:

Bronze lamp consisting of various elements supported by a central rod. First, four spherical parts arranged in ascending order of size with a central fretwork border and naskhi inscription. Next, an eight-sided prismatic element with vegetal fretwork decoration. The lamp is completed by a truncated pyramid in the shape of a four-sided bell, decorated with plant motifs and two inscribed cartouches, one at the top and one at the bottom, with the emblem of Muhammad III: 'There is no conqueror but God. The Most Exalted'. There is another inscription in the bronze on the border, with a series and blessings and titles, as well as the date of manufacture.
There is a convincing hypothesis as to the placement of the holders for the lights: the lamp arrived at the Museum with its hinged arms badly damaged; these arms would open out around the truncated pyramid section into a circle, some of which has survived. There were two arms per side, making a total of 16 arms and between 48 and 64 glasses that produced light without being obscured by the body of the object.
We know that the Royal Alhambra Mosque was constructed at the behest of Muhammad III, and therefore the lamp would have hung in the central nave before the mihrab (prayer niche), the appropriate place for an object bearing the sovereign's emblem. It is logical to assume that the founding sovereign would have also provided the fixtures.

View Short Description

A masterpiece of Andalusian metalwork for the exquisite fretwork decoration on the body, this lamp was commissioned by Muhammad III for the mosque in the Alhambra, according to its inscription. The body still bears the hooks for the arms that would have held the glass bowls for the lights.

Original Owner:

Following the conquest of Granada in AH 898 / AD 1492, the lamp was removed from its fixing and taken to Oran. Eventually it became part of the collection of Cardinal Cisneros, who deposited it with San Ildefonso College in Alcala de Henares, from where it passed to the University

How date and origin were established:

The lower edge of the lamp bears a naskhi inscription with the year 705 / 1305.

How Object was obtained:

The piece was assigned to the National Archaeological Museum as part of the organisation of the State collection on 20 March 1868.

How provenance was established:

Despite the damage to the lower part of the lamp, the titles that appear in the inscription around the edge allow us to attribute it to Muhammad III (r. 702–9 / 1302–9), who would have commissioned it for the Alhambra mosque.

Selected bibliography:

Amador de los Ríos, R., “Lámpara de Abu 'Abdil-lah Mohammad III de Granada, Apellidada Vulgarmente Lámpara de Orán, y Custodiada Hoy en el Museo Arqueológico Nacional”, Museo Español de Antigüedades,Vol. II, Madrid, 1876, pp.466–91.
Fernández Puertas, A., “Tipología de Lámparas de Bronce de al-Andalus y el Magreb”, in Miscelánea de Estudios árabes y Hebraicos. Sección árabe-Islam, 48, Granada, 1999, pp.379–92.
Lévi-Provençal, E., Inscriptions Arabes d'Espagne, Paris, 1931, p.185, no. 192.
Zozaya, J., “Lámpara”, in Arte Islámico en Granada. Propuesta para un Museo de la Alhambra,Granada, 1995, p.434, no. 187.

Citation of this web page:

Ángela Franco "Lamp" in Discover Islamic Art, Museum With No Frontiers, 2019. http://islamicart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;es;Mus01;11;en

Prepared by: Ángela FrancoÁngela Franco

Ángela Franco es Jefa del Departamento de Antigüedades Medievales en el Museo Arqueológico Nacional.
Obtuvo el Grado de Doctor por la Universidad Complutense de Madrid con la tesis Escultura gótica en León y provincia, premiada y publicada parcialmente (Madrid, 1976; reed. León, 1998); y la Diplomatura en Paleografía y Archivística por la Scuola Vaticana di Paleografia, Diplomatica e Archivistica, con la tesis L'Archivio paleografico italiano: indici dei manoscritti, publicada en castellano (Madrid, 1985). Becas de investigación: beca posdoctoral del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Academia Española de Bellas Artes de Roma (1974-75); beca posdoctoral del Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia, Academia Española de Bellas Artes de Roma (1975-77); beca de la Fundación Juan March de Madrid (1978).
Tiene en su haber 202 publicaciones, fundamentalmente sobre arte medieval cristiano, en especial la iconografía: Crucifijo gótico doloroso, Doble Credo, Danzas de la Muerte, temática bíblica en relación con la liturgia (el Génesis y el Éxodo en relación con la vigilia Pascual) o con el teatro (Secundum legem debet mori, sobre el “pozo de Moisés” de la cartuja de Dijon). Es autora de cuatro catálogos monográficos del Museo Arqueológico Nacional, entre ellos el de Dedales islámicos (Madrid, 1993), y de publicaciones sobre escultura gótica y pintura en la catedral de León y sobre escultura gótica en Ávila, así como de numerosas fichas para catálogos de exposiciones.
Ha participado en innumerables congresos nacionales e internacionales, presentando ponencias y mesas redondas, y ha dirigido cursos y ciclos de conferencias. Es Secretaria de Publicaciones en el Museo Arqueológico Nacional desde 1989.

Copyedited by: Rosalía AllerRosalía Aller

Rosalía Aller Maisonnave, licenciada en Letras (Universidad Católica del Uruguay), y en Filología Hispánica y magíster en Gestión Cultural de Música, Teatro y Danza (Universidad Complutense de Madrid), ha obtenido becas de la Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional y la Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia de Madrid, así como el Diplôme de Langue Française (Alliance Française), el Certificate of Proficiency in English (University of Cambridge) y el Certificado Superior en inglés y francés (Escuela Oficial de Idiomas de Madrid). Profesora de Estética de la Poesía y Teoría Literaria en la Universidad Católica del Uruguay, actualmente es docente de Lengua Castellana y Literatura en institutos de Enseñanza Secundaria y formación del profesorado en Madrid. Desde 1983, ha realizado traducción y edición de textos en Automated Training Systems, Applied Learning International, Videobanco Formación y El Derecho Editores. Integra el equipo de Museo Sin Fronteras desde 1999 y ha colaborado en la revisión de los catálogos de “El Arte Islámico en el Mediterráneo”. Así mismo, ha realizado publicaciones sobre temas literarios y didácticos, ha dictado conferencias y ha participado en recitales poéticos.

Translation by: Laurence Nunny
Translation copyedited by: Monica Allen

MWNF Working Number: SP 20

RELATED CONTENT

Related monuments

 Artistic Introduction

 Timeline for this item

Islamic Dynasties / Period

Nasrids


On display in

Discover Islamic Art Exhibition(s)

The Muslim West | Mosques: A Place for Prayer

Download

As PDF (including images) As Word (text only)