Islamic Museum, al-Aqsa Mosque / al-Haram al-Sharif
Hegira 712–40 / AD 1312–40
Painted, enamelled and gilded glass.
Height 33 cm, diameter (of mouth) 18 cm
Probably Damascus or Cairo.
A glass lamp composed of three sections: base, body and the neck, and completely covered with vegetal decoration beautifully and skilfully executed. It is painted with a variety of colours, with enamel and with profuse gilding. In addition it is adorned with written inscriptions and the blazon of the endower. The neck of the lamp is wide and narrows as it moves in closer to the body, thus taking the form of a conic glass. The neck is adorned with both vegetal motifs that fill the surface, and with an inscription band in Mamluk thuluth script. The inscription, 8 cm high, rendered in dark-blue, includes part of a verse from the Qur'an, “al-Tauba” (“the Repentance” 9: 18): “The Mosques of Allah shall be visited and maintained by such as believe in Allah and the Last Day”.The verse is intercepted by three circular medallions with a red circle at the centre, within which is a gilded goblet, the blazon of Amir Tankaz al-Nasiri. A decorative band is located between the body of the lamp and its neck formed from eight consecutive lotus flowers. The body is decorated with a relatively large gilded inscription band, against a dark-blue background, it reads: “This has been ordered by the Sublime, our lord, the amir, al-Saifi Tankaz supporter of the honourable and protected Mamluks in al-Sham [Syria]”. The inscription is interrupted by six suspension loops that are used to attach the chains for hanging the lamp. There is decorative band below that containing the inscription this is adorned with vegetal motifs. The lower area of the body, before transferring to the base, contains six medallions, three of which contain blazons and the remaining three of which are filled with vegetal motifs. The base of the lamp is 4 cm high; it is wider at the bottom than the top. The base is adorned with three bands filled with gilded vegetal decoration.View Short Description
The glass lamp is completely covered with intricate and skilful vegetal decoration and is painted in a variety of colours, with enamel and gilding. The body bears a gilded inscription and the blazon of its endower, Amir Tankiz al-Nasiri, against a dark-blue background. The lamp has a number of decorative medallions.
Amir Tankaz al-Nasiri who occupied the position of a representative of the Sultanate in al-Sham (Great Syria) region in AH 712–40 / AD 1312–40. This was during the rule of the Mamluk sultan, al-Nasir Muhammad bin Qalawun (who ruled three times: AH 693–4, 698–708 and 709–41 / AD 1294–5, 1299–1309 and 1309–40)
The lamp was dated based on the written inscriptions on it, which mention the name of its owner, Amir Tankaz al-Nasiri.
The lamp was transferred from al-Haram al-Ibrahimi (the Ibrahimi Mosque) in Hebron (al-Khalil) to the Islamic Museum in Jerusalem in 1967.
Lamps, similar to that exhibited here, were renowned during the Mamluk period. They were typically produced in either Cairo or Damascus, so it is likely that this piece was made in Damascus in view of the fact that Amir Tankaz was a deputy there.
Abu Khalaf, M., Islamic Art Through the Ages: Masterpieces of the Islamic Museum of al-Haram al-Sharif, Jerusalem, 1998.
Nazmi Al-Ju'beh "Oil lamp" in Discover Islamic Art, Museum With No Frontiers, 2019. http://islamicart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;pa;Mus01;25;en
Prepared by: Nazmi Al-Ju'behNazmi Al-Ju'beh
Nazmi Al-Ju'beh is an archaeologist and historian and Co-Director of RIWAQ, Centre for Architectural Conservation in Ramallah, Palestine. He studied at Birzeit University in Palestine and at Tübingen University in Germany. He taught at Birzeit University and at al-Quds University. He was Director of the Islamic Museum, al-Haram al-Sharif, Jerusalem, and directed various cultural heritage projects in Palestine, including surveys of archaeological and architectural sites. He was a major contributor to Pilgrimage, Sciences and Sufism: Islamic Art in the West Bank and Gaza (Vienna: MWNF, 2004) and is the author of numerous publications on the history, archaeology and cultural heritage of Palestine.
Copyedited by: Majd Musa
Translation by: Amal Sachedina (from the Arabic).
Translation copyedited by: Mandi Gomez
MWNF Working Number: PA 25
Islamic Dynasties / Period
On display in
Discover Islamic Art Exhibition(s)Al-Franj: the Crusaders in the Levant | Journey of an Islamic Minbar
Related MWNF Tour Related MWNF Travel Book
Virtual Visit Exhibition Trail
DownloadAs PDF (including images) As Word (text only)