Rab’a of Sultan Murad
Islamic Museum, al-Aqsa Mosque / al-Haram al-Sharif
Hegira 1001 / AD 1593
Coloured ink and gilding on paper; the binding embossed and illuminated leather. The box made from wood, covered with decorative stucco.
Length 36 cm, width 24.5 cm, depth 2 cm
A rab’a (Qur'an divided into 30 parts) that has been preserved in two identical wooden cube-shaped boxes, each of which is covered with a level of stucco and painted black. A number of inscription bands form part of the decoration and contain gilded texts written in thuluth script. The texts include hadiths of the Prophet to encourage study of the Qur'an. The corners of each box are decorated with vegetal designs composed of intertwining plant motifs gathered within a frame of zigzag lines.
Each volume of the rab’a is bound by a two-leaf cover and a library marker. Each leaf of the cover holds a medallion with a helical frame and an illuminated background. The spine is decorated with independent illuminated vegetal motifs. Each medallion is connected at the top and bottom by two suspended ornaments. The two inside covers are decorated with a medallion, divided into illuminated geometric forms on a blue, black, red and green background. The medallion is connected at the top and bottom to a smaller medallion.
The endowment charter of the entire rab’a appears at the beginning of the first volume. On the first page of every volume there is a condensed version of the charter surrounded at both the top and bottom by two decorative bands that are different in size and decorative style from one volume to the next.
Folio 2b–3a forms the beginning of each volume. The frontispiece consists of two identically decorated pages. Five lines are written on each of the two pages, in alternating gold and black, the text surrounded by a number of bands with extremely beautiful ornamentation in polychrome; specifically red and gold against a background of blue. The text is intercepted with independent vegetal decoration in a variety of different colours.
Each page of the 30 volumes of the rab’a is divided into five horizontal rectangles. In each of the first, third and fifth rectangles, there is a single line of the Qur'an written in a large and illuminated rayhani script. In each of the second and fourth rectangles, four lines are written in black thuluth script. The second and fourth rectangles are intersected on both sides by two side-bands ornamented with illuminated motifs consisting of intertwining vegetal decoration against a white background.
The layout of this rab’a is reminiscent of the Qur'anic manuscript of Sultan Bayezid.
A rab’a (Qur’an in 30 parts) in two wooden boxes covered with stucco and painted black with inscriptions and vegetal designs. The rab’a was donated by Sultan Murad to al-Aqsa Mosque. Each page is divided into five parts, three in illuminated rayhani script and two in thuluth script written with black ink. The word ‘Majestic’, chapter names, verse numbers and their area are illuminated.
Sultan Murad III (r. AH 982–1003 / AD 1574–95)
The rab’a is inscribed with the date and endowment.
The rab’a was transferred from al-Aqsa Mosque to the Islamic Museum but it is not known when.
Turkey was narrowed down as the place of production for this manuscript supported by the text of the waqf charter which appears on the third page of the Qur'an. The name of the copyist, illuminator and the place of production does not appear.
Farid, M., Tarikh al-Daula al-'Ulya al-Othmaniya [History of the Ottoman Empire], Beirut, 1981.
Salameh, K., Al-Makhtutat al-Qur'aniya fi al-Muthaf al-Islami fi al-Haram al-Sharif, al-Quds [The Qur'anic Manuscripts in the Islamic Museum in al-Haram al-Sharif, Jerusalem], Paris, 2003.
Khader Salameh "Rab’a of Sultan Murad" in Discover Islamic Art, Museum With No Frontiers, 2019. http://islamicart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;pa;Mus01;36;en
Prepared by: Khader SalamehKhader Salameh
Khader Salameh has been the Director of the Islamic Museum and Al-Aqsa Library in Jerusalem for more than two decades. He was previously employed in the Hebrew University Library and worked as a librarian in Saudi Arabia and as a teacher in Libya. He is a Ph.D. Candidate in Ottoman History. He received a Certificate of Librarianship in 1986 from the Hebrew University. He obtained his BA degree from Beirut University in 1980. He catalogued the Manuscripts Collections of the Haram al-Sharif, which was published in six parts in several countries. His publications include many articles on different subjects and a recent publication in English and Arabic on the Qur'an manuscripts in the Islamic Museum.
Copyedited by: Majd Musa
Translation by: Amal Sachedina (from the Arabic).
Translation copyedited by: Mandi Gomez
MWNF Working Number: PA 36
Islamic Dynasties / Period
On display in
Discover Islamic Art Exhibition(s)The Ottomans | Guardians of the Holy Sites
Related MWNF Tour Related MWNF Travel Book
Virtual Visit Exhibition Trail
DownloadAs PDF (including images) As Word (text only)