Name of Object:

Window

Location:

Cairo, Egypt

Holding Museum:

Museum of Islamic Art

 About Museum of Islamic Art, Cairo

Date of Object:

Hegira 10th century / AD 16th century

Museum Inventory Number:

386.2

Material(s) / Technique(s):

Stucco, pierced and fitted with coloured glass.

Dimensions:

Height 131 cm, width 65 cm

Period / Dynasty:

Ottoman

Provenance:

Egypt.

Description:

A window made of stucco, which contains pierced decoration filled with coloured glass. The decorations of the window are placed in two rectangular sections: one, larger, at the bottom and the other, smaller, at the top. The decoration in the lower section is composed of a pointed arch, within which are vegetal motifs including cypress trees, and decorative architectural components such as domes and minarets, which bear a strong Ottoman imprint. The upper section is composed of an inscription in naskhi script, which reads: 'Oh Muhammad'.This inscription is written against a background of geometric decoration and stylised-coloured flowers distinguished by their simplicity.
Stucco windows appeared in buildings in the early Islamic era and were used in Amr ibn al-'As Mosque and in al-Azhar Mosque, during the Fatimid period. In the Mamluk and Ottoman periods stucco coloured-glass windows were used more generally. The Museum of Islamic Art in Cairo has a number of stucco coloured-glass windows in the collection that are embellished with a variety of decorations, which invests in them a special beauty particularly when the sun shines through them or when they are exposed to artificial light. Among the most beautiful is that with the registry number 9886.

View Short Description

Stucco windows were known in different Islamic periods and were used in different buildings to filter the sunshine and soften its glare. When their pierced patterns were covered with coloured glass, the aesthetic effect was exquisite.

How date and origin were established:

The window is dated based on the decorative architectural components, which have a definite Ottoman stamp. The window is also associated with construction of the Sariyat al-Jabal (Mosque of Suleyman Pasha) which was built in 935 / 1528.

How Object was obtained:

This object was transferred to the museum from the Mosque of Sariyat al-Jabal (Mosque of Suleyman Pasha).

How provenance was established:

This window is associated with the Mosque of Suleyman Pasha, built in 935 / 1528 in the Citadel of Cairo and was probably made in Cairo, Egypt.

Selected bibliography:

Al-Pasha, H., Fan al-Taswir fi Masr al-Islamiya [The Art of Pictorial Depiction in Islamic Egypt], Cairo, 1966.
Hassan, Z. M., Muslim Art in Fouad I University, Vol. 1, Cairo, 1950.
Naguib, Ezz El Din, et al, “Light Screens”, Cairo, 1997.
Shiha, M., “Islamic Architecture in Egypt”, Prisma, Magazine of the Ministry of Culture, Cairo, 2001.

Citation of this web page:

Muhammad Abbas Muhammad Selim "Window" in Discover Islamic Art, Museum With No Frontiers, 2021. http://islamicart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;eg;Mus01;44;en

Prepared by: Muhammad Abbas Muhammad Selim
Copyedited by: Majd Musa
Translation by: Amal Sachedina (from the Arabic).
Translation copyedited by: Mandi Gomez


MWNF Working Number: ET 82