Name of Object:
Two mosque lamps
London, England, United Kingdom
The British Museum
Date of Object:
Hegira mid-7th century/ AD mid-14th century
Museum Inventory Number:
OA+521 and G.497
Material(s) / Technique(s):
Enamelled and gilded glass.
Height 53 cm, diameter (at base) 14 cm, diameter (at top) 26 cm
Period / Dynasty:
Two glass mosque lamps with globular body and flared neck, decorated with enamel and gilt. Around the body is a bold inscription, while roundels exhibiting a cup emblem alternating with calligraphy surround the neck. The inscriptions around the body of both these lamps state that they were made for Sayf al-Din Shaykhu al-‘Umari, a prominent amir for Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad. Shaykhu achieved the status of commander-in-chief of the palace and then Great Amir before being assassinated in AH 759 / AD 1357. The roundels around the neck and the underside of body contain a cup motif, the blazon of Shaykhu, indicating that he held the post of cup-bearer. The neck is inscribed with the Qur’anic verse 24:35, known as the ‘Light’ verse: ‘God is the Light of heavens and the earth; the likeness of His Light is a niche, wherein is a light, the light in a glass, the glass as it were a glittering star’.
View Short Description
A pair of glass mosque lamps decorated with enamel and gilt. Around the body are medallions containing the cup emblem, the heraldic symbol belonging to the patron Sayf al-Din Shaykhu al-‘Umari, who was cup-bearer for Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad.
How date and origin were established:
Embellished with the blazon of Shaykhu these lamps were probably made for one of the religious buildings he commissioned; a mosque in 750/ 1349 and a khanqa in 756/ 1355. Shaykhu rose to prominence in the 740s / 1340s, and helped re-instate Sultan al-Nasir Hasan on the throne in 754 / 1354. Thenceforth Shaykhu effectively ruled the Mamluk Empire until he was assassinated in 758/ 1357. These mosque lamps probably date to the mid-7th / mid-14th century when he was at the height of his powers.
How Object was obtained:
One of the lamps (OA+521) was bequeathed by Felix Slade in 1868; the other (G.497) was part of the Godman Bequest of 1983.
How provenance was established:
The objects are embellished with the blazon of Shaykhu (amir of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad in Cairo, Egypt), and inscribed with his name, it is probable, therefore, that these lamps were made for one of the religious buildings that Shaykhu commissioned.
Brend, B., Islamic Art, London, 1991, p.113.
Citation of this web page:
Emily Shovelton "Two mosque lamps" in Discover Islamic Art, Museum With No Frontiers, 2022. https://islamicart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;uk;Mus01;24;en